Voted in 2014 as the No. 1 place to live in Missouri, Glendale prides itself on the tightness and closeness of its community. The City of Glendale, MO was named after all the pristine "glens" and "dales" that existed in the area in the late 1800's. A "glen" and a "dale" are narrow valleys running through hilly areas. Those terms, like many other English words, disappeared from our everyday lexicon, but the name Glendale remains.
JEMA's site for the city's new City Hall, Police Station and Fire Station is situated in a "glen". The original forested valley and creek have been replaced with residences and a historic fire station from 1912.
But the glens and the dales remain.
JEMA's design "cuts" the new fire station into the hillside of the glen/dale and as the building moves towards the valley, a new landscape of low limestone walls opens up for the community to gather. The design is distinctly modern, yet contextual in form and scale to the surrounding neighborhood.
Existing Glendale Fire Station from 1926
From left to right: Police HQ, City Hall (in the historic Fire House), the community plaza, limestone terracing, Fire Station, existing residence
East facade of the new Fire Station. The front plaza steps down the hillside to greet the community
The Fire Station anchors the community's main gathering space
The Fire Station's entry area under construction
The new fire station in the foreground - under construction. The existing historic Fire Station in the background
New Fire Station: Wood, brick and zinc